Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Thing A Day

I signed up for Thing-A-Day recently - attempting to do a creative act each day during February. Seeing as this is my creative crafty blog, I thought I'd post my thing-a-day posts here too. So here goes...

On Friday the First, I helped Piper finish making (decorating, really) a calendar for herself. When I kiss her goodnight, she always asks me what we're going to do the next day, and I thought she might appreciate being able to anticipate certain events a bit more. She coloured in all the birthdays of family and friends, and I drew a few little pictures of things coming up in the next couple of days (visiting friends, Gramma & Opa Snowbird coming home from Texas, etc.).

On Saturday the Second, I made two loaves of bread. I have been making bread remarkably consistently since the beginning of the year, a bemusing pleasure - the pleasure at the thought that I can maintain the discipline, the pleasure of feeling the dough beneath my palms and the simple pleasure of creating something from nothing (nothing you can eat straight, anyway!).

On Sunday the Third, we hosted a Stuperbowl party (that's what I was calling it, anyway!). About half an hour before guests were going to show up, I decided to whip up a curtain for the kitchen window. I'd been mulling over the idea for a little while, after my husband built the shelf for plants above the sink. I love the colours of this fabric (City Park, by Alexander Henry) - I think I'll buy another yard so I can have a bit hanging on each side, when it's open, and so it's more ruffly when it's closed. I love how it changes the feel of the sink area, and I love the idea of having plants there. I'll paint pots to match, and blog about that another day sometime soon.


And today, Monday the Fourth, I took the time to make myself a healthy, yummy lunch - kind of a stirfry - inspired by a book I'm reading on detoxing. I'm not fantastic at lunches. I don't really do sandwiches, and usually hope there's leftovers in the fridge that will work for me and the kids, but today, I put the effort in, and felt the emotional benefit of that for the rest of the day. I was planning on painting the pots to match the curtains - I bought some paint today - but by the time I had the space to do so, it was feeling like a chore, not creative at all, so I took myself off to bed for a kip before dinner - a better choice!

No comments: